No External Hard drive access with Ubuntu Linux?




Snowman


I have tryed several times with different systems and different external harddrives using ntsf read write access in ubuntu and kubuntu and cannot access the harddrives in Ubuntu but they work fine in Windows xp.What gives?


Answer
What kind of external harddrives are these? USB? If your problem is that you don't get a pop-up that says you've plugged in a new drive, then it might just be file manager flakiness. The drive may have been recognized. Do the following:
sudo tail -f /var/log/messages

Then unplug, wait 10s, and replug the drive in. Look on the screen to see if you get some messages on screen saying something about /dev/sdXN where X is a letter and N is a number. If you see these messages, the your problem is that the Ubuntu file manager didn't see the drive insert. I've seen this happen occasionally but I have also had some chronic problems with certain drives. If the drive is really NTFS, you may need to install a few things to get read/write access supported. I started to write some instructions but hen found this:

http://www.arsgeek.com/?p=585

Give that a try.

WRITE LINUX TO EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ?




Peasant Ph


I've burnt Ubuntu & Mint to dvd but do not want to instal them on my pc...can i instal them on a external drive in separate partitions using IMGBURN or is there another free program that you can recommend to instal them ?...thanks..


Answer
Yes you can.
When you install it to the external drive just be sure that you are installing it on the external drive and not the internal drive. The internal drive should be called /dev/sda and a second internal drive should be called /dev/sdb and the external drive should be called /dev/sdc or greater. The partitions will be called /dev/sda1 dev/sda2 etc.
If you install grub (the linux bootloader) to the MBR of the internal drive you will have to have the external drive attached in order to use any OS. If you install grub to the external hard drive you could remove the external drive and boot from the internal drive.
Yes imgburn would work fine.
I would still recommend that you backup any important files on the internal drive.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar