Hard Disk suddenly changed to RAW format?




Mark B


My PC "froze" the other day. Nothing would get it moving. Ctrl/Alt/Del did nothing. Inserting a CD (which has given it a 'kick' in the past) had no effect so after an hour I had to turn it off/on.

Upon reboot the PC didn't like the main C drive - a standard Seagate 80GB that's never given me any problems before. In recovery mode the drive showed up as unformatted.

I swapped the hard drive with a old 20GB that has XP/SP2 on it and plugged the 80 in an external. The 80 shows up with size 0, used 0, available 0 and file system of RAW.

I have read about similar problems but nothing's been much help yet. What I have tried is...

1) Running Knoppix (5.1.1) from a CD with the corrupt 80 as the main drive. It asks me to mount the drive then says it can't because it doesn't recognise the file type.

2) Same with the 80 as an external. Same results.

I'm no Linux/Knoppix expert so is there something else I hae to do - some utility?

Anyone have any more ideas?

Regards,
Mark



Answer
Does your computer's BIOS see the 80Gb disk drive still with tracks/cylinders/sectors that work out to be about 80Gb? Your BIOS may not show the details but it should show the rough size. If the size is wrong, I'd guess your drive has died... but you may find it's just the BIOS that is messed up.

Otherwise, in knoppix use 'dd' to copy the disk drive to the screen or to /dev/null... in the first case you get a screens and screens of 'stuff' that represent the binary it shifts off the disk:
dd if=/dev/sda

In the second case you get no screens-full of garbage, just the totals at the end:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/null

NOTE replace /dev/sda with whatever your knoppix CD sees your disk drive as. My linux PC sees a number of sections of the disk drive... /dev/sda and /dev/sda1, /dev/sda2, dev/sda3. Note also it might take some time as it's reading the whole disk surface.

If it shows the right details, in terms of size of the data on the drive you may be able to get it back... but if it copies 0 bytes off the disk then I'd say it looks like your drive has died. Or you chose the wrong drive characteristics...

Sorry, your data is probably gone. 80Gb is (relatively) small nowadays, so your desktop drive may have reached it's natural life.

100 MBps on USB 2.0 -- that's BYTES?!?




Billy B


How is this possible? I am moving files onto an external hard drive via USB 2.0 and I got a transfer rate of 100 MBps, even though USB 2.0 throughput has a maximum of 60MBps (480Mbps). It fluctuated between around 95 and 105 MBps for about 10 seconds before slowly climbing back down to around 50.... how was this possible, and for a sustained amount of time? Usually I only get about 18-20MBps?


Answer
No. What ever you're measuring it with is clocking it wrong. That 100 MBps is actually bits. Fastest raw data transfer to and from USB 2.0 has been clocked as high as 40 MBps and that's when NO other devices are using the bus device (typically 2 ports to a device bus).




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar