monstrpony
I have all my important files from college backed up on my 750gb external hard drive. I recently purchased a new computer and am attempting to drag these files to copy them onto my desktop so I can clean my hard drive. Some random files (.psd, .avi .tiff) come up with an error message..."cannot read from source file or disk" and something about an I/O device error. It's not one specific file, seems like it could happen with any of my larger files, yet the others copy over as they should. Why is it only targeting these files? Is there anything I can do about it? I'm not even sure if it will allow me to delete the files...I don't really want to try - they're the originals to some of my college finals!
Here are some screenshots of the error messages:
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/perfectsoldier23/Horse%20Trailer/harddriveerror01.jpg
http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d86/perfectsoldier23/Horse%20Trailer/harddriveerror.jpg
Answer
What has occured is that "some" of the files/folders on the external HD are WRITE-Protected (Read ONLY) AND also it would seem from your information, about I/O error, that the External Device has either of TWO problems..(1) a section of the ext.HD, the surface of the HD, is damaged..This can occur by Jolting/Dropping OR turning off the PC from the Power whilst still in Windows, OR, the Ext.HD device is "losing" connection from it to the PC, no doubt thru your USB port.
I tip, the LATTER.
However, please try this..From the TOP Menu of My Computer, where View/Tools etc., select Folder Options and from View, click on the SHOW hidden files, untick that, untick the "protected" option, untick the "extensions" option...Then from START Menu, select RUN, type in CMD.exe, in that black screen type in >> CHKDSK D: /f /r /v and
follow instructions..I say D:, but your external HD may be another Drive, such as E: or F: etc. This action will correct any surface/file
errors on the Ext.HD..when it finishes, try to perform what you want again. A COMMON "problem" with ext.HD is the ext.HD motor, or
USB to USB connection >>disconnecting, often if the ext.HD gets HOT.
The reason that it copies "some" AND not OTHERS, is that the "others" may be located in that section OR sections of your EXT.HD that is/are damaged. The CHKDSK drive: /f /r /v option will correct this problem, if there is one and I AM SURE from your information provided..THERE IS.
Be aware also of something, you may NOT have suspected..THAT IS>>WHEN YOU COPIED your files (whatever) over to the ext.HD, they may NOT have copied correctly and the files you refer to that wont copy over..may be 0 length files.(thats a reality because it happens, but in your case, remember, I am guessing.) IF not 0 length files/folders, such as your examples show,,the files you refer to have become corrupted..whilst they may have worked previously, in another PC, before copying them to the ext.HD..it gets back to my assumption stated above, THEY DIDNT copy over from the PC to the ext.HD when you backed up originally.>>correctly, therefore they can now be described as "corrupted"..what this "simply" means is that solme small part of the file didnt copy correctly..and that small part of the actual file, may be very, very minor, even down to a very small SYMBOL that makes up the actual files, such as your examples supplied.
What has occured is that "some" of the files/folders on the external HD are WRITE-Protected (Read ONLY) AND also it would seem from your information, about I/O error, that the External Device has either of TWO problems..(1) a section of the ext.HD, the surface of the HD, is damaged..This can occur by Jolting/Dropping OR turning off the PC from the Power whilst still in Windows, OR, the Ext.HD device is "losing" connection from it to the PC, no doubt thru your USB port.
I tip, the LATTER.
However, please try this..From the TOP Menu of My Computer, where View/Tools etc., select Folder Options and from View, click on the SHOW hidden files, untick that, untick the "protected" option, untick the "extensions" option...Then from START Menu, select RUN, type in CMD.exe, in that black screen type in >> CHKDSK D: /f /r /v and
follow instructions..I say D:, but your external HD may be another Drive, such as E: or F: etc. This action will correct any surface/file
errors on the Ext.HD..when it finishes, try to perform what you want again. A COMMON "problem" with ext.HD is the ext.HD motor, or
USB to USB connection >>disconnecting, often if the ext.HD gets HOT.
The reason that it copies "some" AND not OTHERS, is that the "others" may be located in that section OR sections of your EXT.HD that is/are damaged. The CHKDSK drive: /f /r /v option will correct this problem, if there is one and I AM SURE from your information provided..THERE IS.
Be aware also of something, you may NOT have suspected..THAT IS>>WHEN YOU COPIED your files (whatever) over to the ext.HD, they may NOT have copied correctly and the files you refer to that wont copy over..may be 0 length files.(thats a reality because it happens, but in your case, remember, I am guessing.) IF not 0 length files/folders, such as your examples show,,the files you refer to have become corrupted..whilst they may have worked previously, in another PC, before copying them to the ext.HD..it gets back to my assumption stated above, THEY DIDNT copy over from the PC to the ext.HD when you backed up originally.>>correctly, therefore they can now be described as "corrupted"..what this "simply" means is that solme small part of the file didnt copy correctly..and that small part of the actual file, may be very, very minor, even down to a very small SYMBOL that makes up the actual files, such as your examples supplied.
I have 2 laptops and neither will recognize my Seagate Free Agent Desktop External Hard Drive?
Melissa S
The orange light is on so I know it has power, and I can hear the drive spinning.
It is a 1TB drive that has been running perfect for a little over 2 years. I recently purchased a new laptop, primary reason for expanded disk space. Since I run out of space often, I usually just move files off of my laptop onto the e-drive, so I do not have a backup of data. My old laptop is XP, my new laptop is Windows 7. I was in the process of copying my files to the e-drive to transfer to my new laptop and in the middle of copying my files, I got an error saying something to the effect that data couldn't be written to the e-drive (some data did write, the rest didn't once I received this error.) I unplugged the e-drive and ever since then, I haven't been able to get either of my laptops to recognize the e-drive now. This happened a few days ago.
tried both of your solutions and the drive doesn't show up -- not under device manager, or using the Run command provided in the other comment.
Answer
Most common tickets I get for external drive issues are drive letter conflict. IF (big if ;) ) you are using a windows computer, go to run (Win+R), type "diskmgmt.msc" (no quotes), and see if the drive shows up. If so, right click on drive (in lower portion of window) and change drive letter. Good Luck.
Most common tickets I get for external drive issues are drive letter conflict. IF (big if ;) ) you are using a windows computer, go to run (Win+R), type "diskmgmt.msc" (no quotes), and see if the drive shows up. If so, right click on drive (in lower portion of window) and change drive letter. Good Luck.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar