How can I get my external hard drive to utilize all 2 TB?




Omar L


I recently purchased a WD 2TB Mirror Edition External Hard Drive. In my ignorance I made the mistake of thinking that you can actually hold 2TB worth of information but you can only hold 1 TB as the mirror edition automatically backs up whatever you have on the hard drive. Does anybody know if it's possible to stop this mirror feature so I can actually use all 2TB?? If so, how?


Answer
Yes you can by installing the WD Drive Manager which is contained on the included software CD.

( Source = http://www.cdrlabs.com/Reviews/western-digital-2tb-my-book-mirror-edition/All-Pages.html - Condensed here for faster reading - I have placed the paragraph that indicates the way to change the configuration in between "brackets" to make it easier for you ).

When installed, this utility shows up on the system tray, providing a quick and easy way to view the status of the My Book Mirror Edition. It also enables the capacity gauge and Safe Shutdown and installs another useful utility, WD RAID Manager.

WD RAID Manager is launched by right clicking on the WD Drive Manager system tray icon. Using this utility, you can check the status of the RAID system and change its configuration.

Configured out-of-the box in RAID 1 mode, this dual-drive system automatically mirrors your data. Even if one drive should fail, the system will continue to run and your data will remain safe.

"You can also choose to use the full capacity of the My Book Mirror Edition by reconfiguring it to use RAID 0. While you lose the system's mirroring capabilities, it doubles the amount of storage to a whopping 2TB (1863.02 GBs formatted to be exact)."


While not as fast as Western Digital's FireWire and eSATA equipped storage systems, its reading and writing speeds were on par with other external USB hard drives.

Noise and heat weren't an issue either thanks to its fan-less design and GreenPower hard drives.

Western Digital rounds all this out with a three year warranty and a software bundle containing WD Anywhere Backup for both Mac and Windows.


Hope this helps guide you

QD1956

Thanks to Blackcompe for giving out the link containing the answer

Do all external hard drives really crash?




lameli422


i want to buy one but every time i see one that sounds good peoples reviews say that it crashed and they lost all their information. so is there a hard dive that i could trust?


Answer
A couple of things to know.

In shops forums, most people who take the time to post are people who had problems. When you buy a perfectly working hardware, you usually use it and don't make a fuss about it (unless you are a MAC person). So theses forums are not representative.

Every hard drive will eventually fail as it has moving parts. But the usage dictates when it will give up. Most external hard drives are made to hold data. But they are not designed to be full system drives.

I have lots of hard drives, internal and external, some cheap, some not. When I use a drive to work (swapping, writing, encoding, rendering etc...), there are a lot of read and write cycles done (several GB an hour everyday!!). Theses are usually the ones giving up first. The external hard drives I use are for backups and I do a couple every week. Every external HDD I have are still working perfectly. A good suggestion is go for the big brands and don't go for the cheapest!!! Pay ~50-75$ more than the cheapest one for 1-2TB and you should be okay. But even the cheap ones are working great. Just don't expect it to work forever if you use it to encode videos and download stuff (directly on it).

note: with all makes and models, there are lemons and it's possible to get one.

Good luck!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar