What external hard drive should I buy for my Mac?




Michael


I have a MacBook Pro, and need to store a large amount of video. I would like to spend under 200$. I was thinking the Iomega 2T Prestige External Hard Drive, that's sold on apple.com, thoughts?


Answer
You might go to an Apple Store (if possible) and talk to someone there, and see what they suggest. I'm actually backing up my MacBook to an external hard drive as we speak. I got the "Seagate GoFlex Home" because you can use it with both a Mac and a Windows computer at the same time. Also, since I don't want to continually have to have my laptop plugged into it, this is one that can be plugged into your router and access it wirelessly. The instructions say that you have to access it through a browser, but that's not true. The drive shows up as a "shared" drive, and I've just been able to drag and drop onto it without a problem. But talk to the Apple people, though. If you won't need it for both Mac and PC at the same time, there might be another good one with an interface you like better.

If you'll be transferring your iTunes to be accessed entirely from the external drive instead of your internal drive, this article might help...
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

External Hard drive from mac to pc?




jennifer


I have a ton of video footage alone with pictures I am needing to give to someone. I use a mac and they do not, and are on a pc. I was wondering if I buy an external hard drive to give them will they be able to open it on their pc after I download all the footage on to the hard drive from my mac? I have a personal one I use and remember running into issues when trying to get something off it when I plugged into a pc... Is there a specific kind I need to buy, or set it up for both? Please HELP -_-


Answer
Typically external hard drives marketed for MAC are formatted in ExFAT
While external drives marketed for use with PC are formatted NTFS

IF you didn't re-format the drive and the drive IS formatted for ExFAT then a
windows computer should be able to read the data, as EXFAT is the only
formatting method that can be read by BOTH PC and MAC.


If it is formatted by some other formatting then you will need a friend with a MAC and another drive formatted ExFAT to transfer the data to, reformat the drive to ExFAT then transfer the data back.
so your PC can read it.

Remember there is a big difference between "Lost DATA" and "inaccessible DATA"




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar