Is Iomega Prestige 1 TB External hard drive good?




robert78gd


Im looking to buy a 1tb external hard drive and hook it to my PS3 via usb, I know I will have to format the drive to FAT32 in order for my PS3 to read it, I have a WD book 500g and its good but Iomega its a little cheaper and has better reviews than WD and Seagate on 1tb, here is the link for the one I want:
http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Prestige-Desktop-External-34275/dp/B001D7REJ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=pc&qid=1263846195&sr=1-1

thanx
There is applications that would format the drive beyong 32



Answer
i personally have found western digital to be of a higher quality, and be prepared to make a few partitions on the drive since the fat file system won't be able to use all 1000 gigs in one partition. XD

if you can i would get an internal hard drive they have better performance then external drives

I desperately need an external hard-drive. Help! What's the world's best external hard-drive?




Corruptor


Good day people! Ever since I purchased a Nikon camera and UNCAPPED ADSL internet, I have been receiving media to the point that it's almost bursting my Macbook Pro's hard-drive open. I am in desperate need of an external hard-drive with a capacity of at least 1TB. I've done moderate research and most of the customer reviews at wwww.amazon.com are average, no "ultimate" or "world's best" hard-drives were reviewed. The criteria I use to judge which external hard drive to buy include the following:

1. It MUST be made out of metal (preferably aluminium)
2. It MUST have a manual on/off switch.
3. It MUST have a fan cooler built into the housing of the drive.
4. It MUST not switch off or go to "sleep" by itself, after not using it.
5. It MUST have an external power supply.

Lastly, it MUST be among the trusted and notable manufacturers: iOmega, Toshiba, Verbatim, Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi. No-name brands are a no-no!

Notable candidates in my list include:
a. Toshiba 1TB 3.5" StorE Alu (LED light is too bright, you could put a dozen of these things in a lighthouse and a ship will stay miles away. Doesn't have a fan. It's made out of aluminium.) 3/5
b. Toshiba 1TB 3.5" Black (switches off after 5 minutes!! No fan!! No power button!!! Plastic-based!!! 0/5!!!)
c. Verbatim SmartDisk 1TB 3.5" (Aluminium body. Power button. Fan built in. Doesn't go to "sleep".) 5/5
d. iOmega Prestige Desktop 1TB 3.5" (Aluminium body. Power button. No fan. 3/5)

With all this in mind, are there any other suggestions you may have for any external hard-drive that meets my specific description? I've been Googling my brains out and can't seem to find anything. It only leads to my next question: exactly what's the world's best external hard-drive? Help. Please. Thanks!



Answer
Among what's on the market today, you won't be able to judge "world's best" for another 10 years.

Look first at the reliability of the disk itself. Hitachi and Seagate are probably the best, WD not as much. I don't think any of the others make the disk, so see what they use.

Having it spin down or even power off when idle is a plus, for energy use and for drive lifetime.

If 'external power supply' means it doesn't get all its power via USB, that's a good choice. It shouldn't matter whether the PS is built in to the case or a wall wart.

You might consider a drive 'dock'. It's a USB interface to a SATA disk, but the drive isn't married to the box. Choose a good dock, then choose a good drive. My favorite now is the 2TB Hitachi, often $150 or less. When you fill that, unplug that disk and put in another. That's also an easy way to make a backup copy. Copy everything you have onto a disk like that, then put it into a closet at a relative's house in another city or state. If your city is destroyed by a nuclear attack, you'll still have a backup. Or if your disk crashes.

Copying everything onto DVD (especially dual-layer or Blu-Ray) is cheaper, but you need to break it into smaller chunks and manage the backups.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar