External Hard Drive Optimization?




Matt O


I have an external hard drive that I use to store all of my music and video files. My iTunes library is essentially the entire drive. Well, my computer, iTunes, VLC, Bittorrent, etc. all have problems accessing this drive. It seems to have gotten quite slow, because there is so much data stored on it. It is a 1TB Western Digital with USB 3.0. Is there a way to optimize this drive so the speeds are better? Or should I purchase a new one with a different connection option if I continue to run files that require quick playback?


Answer
I would start by running a defrag on your external drive to see if that helps. Either use the built in windows defrag option [right click the drive in MyComputer and select "Properties" then tools and choose defragment drive] or use a free tool like Defaggler [I find this works better]:
http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

How full is the drive?

USB 3 is one of the fastest drive interfaces you can [up to 8 X faster than USB 2] so data access should be fast.

You should normally expect a drop in read/write performance if you have less than 10% of free space on a system drive but if this drive is only for storage [as you say it is] then you shouldn't have a problem unless you are trying to write new large video files to it with under 10% free space.

Can I Transfer Video from my Camcorder to External Hard Drive?

Q. I have a Canon FS200 Flash Memory Camcorder, I know I can transfer video/photo from my Camcorder to my Computer's hard drive, but can I transfer the same files to an external hard drive without a computer?


Answer
Depends on whether the external drive accepts memory cards, if not you will have to connect it to the computer & drag the files into it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar