Max
I am looking for a faster external hard drive (my current one runs at 5400 rpm), but I was told that if I were to upgrade to 7200 rpm then I would need USB 3.0 or else it wouldn't make a difference. Is this true?
Answer
7200 rpm hard drive will give you faster transfer rate when moving data between different partitions of one hard drive even on USB 2.0, but the 5400 rpm hard drive itself will operate faster on USB 3.0 .
your 5400 rpm SATA/SATA II drive can transfer data up to 1500/3000 mbps but USB 2.0 can handle up to 450 mbps.
you don't need a faster hard drive. just move to USB 3.0.
7200 rpm hard drive will give you faster transfer rate when moving data between different partitions of one hard drive even on USB 2.0, but the 5400 rpm hard drive itself will operate faster on USB 3.0 .
your 5400 rpm SATA/SATA II drive can transfer data up to 1500/3000 mbps but USB 2.0 can handle up to 450 mbps.
you don't need a faster hard drive. just move to USB 3.0.
Will USB 3.0 make a big difference playing World of Warcraft from an external hard drive?
Michael V
I am in the market to buy a new external hard drive, however a few questions come to mind, Least of which the one above, is a USB 3.0 worth paying for or would an internal be more ideal. My PC is on the higher end, also I'd be happy to provide specs if that helps anyone's answers. I'm also looking for ways to improve my FPS rating, maybe a cooling fan or unit that attaches to the video card? Please leave your thought out and educated responses as soon as you can below. I'd like to buy these products by Saturday so they can arrive before Christmas.
PS. Brands and links are always helpful but not to forums and review, please try to keep links to only the product your recommending. Thanks!
Happy Holidays!!!
I guess part of my question was not understood entirely and that's my fault guys. What I'm trying to decide is if USB 3.0 (7200rpm) external would be a better long term investment than going with a similar unit INTERNAL. BTW I'm looking for one in the 1TB to 2TB range.
Answer
If you're playing from an external hard drive on USB 2.0 now, you're using a connection that can handle 480Mbps, which is 60MB/s. It's true that switching to USB 3.0 might bump that up to 100MB/s or more. But World of Warcraft simply isn't using that much data at a time. Using an internal hard drive instead might actually bump up FPS, because it doesn't require using your CPU to transfer data unlike USB.
Cooling down the video card might make your system more stable and make your hardware last longer, but it won't increase your FPS. A better video card is what's needed for that.
If you're playing from an external hard drive on USB 2.0 now, you're using a connection that can handle 480Mbps, which is 60MB/s. It's true that switching to USB 3.0 might bump that up to 100MB/s or more. But World of Warcraft simply isn't using that much data at a time. Using an internal hard drive instead might actually bump up FPS, because it doesn't require using your CPU to transfer data unlike USB.
Cooling down the video card might make your system more stable and make your hardware last longer, but it won't increase your FPS. A better video card is what's needed for that.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar