gateway desktop hard drive removal image
wannabecsi
Here is my situation.
I have an older Dell desktop PC. It is a SATA 320GB 5400RPM hard disk. I know how to remove it from the tower, but that's about it.
Unfortunately, this computer got some kind of virus.
Explanation of Virus:
I can turn on my computer, but once my desktop has loaded, it immediately freezes. I can sometimes press the Start button (OS: XP Pro SPK 3) and it will freeze and I will have to reboot by unplugging it.
There is a lot of data on this computer that I would like to try and receive. (I would prefer to rid the infectious content, but... that may not be feasible.) I now only own Macintosh computers, so if that could be incorporated in your answer, that would be extremely helpful.
My questions are:
1. Can I retrieve information from this hard disk?
2. If I connect this hard disk to my current laptop, will that transfer any malware/viruses/trojans/etc.?
3. What kind of equipment do I need for this?
Thank you for your help! :)
Answer
This should cover trying to get rid of the virus and if not how to get your data and files from it. It will also explain how to reset back to factory settings if you have a recovery partition.
First thing to try is to run RKill. The first link below discusses how it works. The second discusses some of the viruses it will remove. You will need another puter to download RKill and malwarebytes. You will need both of them on a thumb drive, DVD or a CD. Read the instruction carefully on how to use the programs together.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
If all else fails you will need to try to recover your data and files. Go to the link below and read on how to download a Linux Live CD to boot the system to recover what you want. If you have a Windows 8 puter then you need to turn of secure boot before using the CD. The live CD will also allow you to check out the rest of the puter. It helps to have a thumb drive or a external drive to copy your data and files to.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
After you get your data backed up and you have a brand name puter and a recovery partition then you can use the link below to get to the BIOS menu to restore it back to factory settings. When you press the power button start tapping the F key that is for your puter and the BIOS menu will open. Select the recovery and it will set your puter back to factory settings. Depending on your puter this will take one to two hours.
Manufacturers BIOS menu F key
HP/Compaq ESC
Sony F2
ASUS Del
Gateway, eMachines F10
Acer, Dell, Fijitsu, Gigabyte, Toshiba F12
Your BIOS menu should look something like this. Yours might be different. I am posting this to give you an idea of what it looks like.
F1 = System Info
F2 = System Diagnostic
F9 = Boot Device options
F10 = BIOS Setup
F11 = System recovery
This should cover trying to get rid of the virus and if not how to get your data and files from it. It will also explain how to reset back to factory settings if you have a recovery partition.
First thing to try is to run RKill. The first link below discusses how it works. The second discusses some of the viruses it will remove. You will need another puter to download RKill and malwarebytes. You will need both of them on a thumb drive, DVD or a CD. Read the instruction carefully on how to use the programs together.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
If all else fails you will need to try to recover your data and files. Go to the link below and read on how to download a Linux Live CD to boot the system to recover what you want. If you have a Windows 8 puter then you need to turn of secure boot before using the CD. The live CD will also allow you to check out the rest of the puter. It helps to have a thumb drive or a external drive to copy your data and files to.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
After you get your data backed up and you have a brand name puter and a recovery partition then you can use the link below to get to the BIOS menu to restore it back to factory settings. When you press the power button start tapping the F key that is for your puter and the BIOS menu will open. Select the recovery and it will set your puter back to factory settings. Depending on your puter this will take one to two hours.
Manufacturers BIOS menu F key
HP/Compaq ESC
Sony F2
ASUS Del
Gateway, eMachines F10
Acer, Dell, Fijitsu, Gigabyte, Toshiba F12
Your BIOS menu should look something like this. Yours might be different. I am posting this to give you an idea of what it looks like.
F1 = System Info
F2 = System Diagnostic
F9 = Boot Device options
F10 = BIOS Setup
F11 = System recovery
I think my computer may contain Spyware/Malware. How to remove it?
Emily
NOTE: This may be a lot to read, but I would appreciate some help with this!
- My computer is Windows 7
- INTRO: My brother's laptop had a very damaged hard-drive to the point where it wouldn't start up without getting a blue screen. My dad purchased a new hard-drive, installed it, and then handed it down to me. It was around May 3rd when I received the laptop. (It worked fine when I got it.)
- WHAT I THINK MAY BE THE CAUSE OF MY SPECULATION: Around May 6th, I downloaded Hypercam 2 (I have it on my desktop, it gave me no viruses or problems) and upon doing this, I noticed some sort of browser hijacker called "isearchfantastigames" managed to get through Norton Security Suite, and showed up every time I opened Google Chrome/Internet Explorer. Knowing this was not normal, I removed it from the settings on both of my browsers and thought I had removed it completely from my computer.
- WHAT HAPPENED AFTER WARDS: The next day, I took it to school in order to work on something for my science class. After typing in my password, the laptop got a bluescreen, which scared the heck out of me.
This started to happen occasionally, (not everyday) and I began to become worried. Applications take awhile to start up (especially Firefox, which I am now using because Google Chrome refused to start up...), and when using the internet browsers it takes forever to load a page. Sometimes, I also noticed that when starting up the computer, some of the applications that are supposed to show up do not, and when I try to open up something, the computer doesn't and gets a bluescreen. After the computer gets a bluescreen it restarts itself and is mostly "fine." After all this I have come to the conclusion that there is something very wrong with my computer.
- WHAT I ENDED UP DOING: I downloaded "SpyHunter 4" to detect viruses and such on my computer. It found 207 files that were shown that were malicious. They were not much of a threat, but they were all tracking cookies, and this worried me. There was one that was deemed a higher threat, also some form of a cookie, but I cannot remember what it was called. After this 3 hour full system scan, I thought it would remove the spyware it found, but it did not, for I had to pay $40 to do so, which I do not have. I feel that these cookies are causing my computer to take damage, and I would like to get rid of them immediately. Norton only recognizes a few of these cookies, and I have tried "Avast!" by the recommendation of my friend, and it said my computer was safe.
I am very scared and I do not want to disappoint my father with this news. He has a friend who is very good with computers but I am afraid to ask him.
Help with this situation would be very much appreciated!
-Sorry my story was so long!
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
Answer
You might have a virus, first thing to try is to run RKill. The first link below discusses how it works. The second discusses some of the viruses it will remove. You will need another puter to download RKill and malwarebytes. You will need both of them on a thumb drive, DVD or a CD. Read the instruction carefully on how to use the programs together.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
If all else fails you will need to try to recover your data and files. Go to the link below and read on how to download a Linux Live CD to boot the system to recover what you want. If you have a Windows 8 puter then you need to turn of secure boot before using the CD. The live CD will also allow you to check out the rest of the puter. It helps to have a thumb drive or a external drive to copy your data and files to.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
After you get your data backed up and you have a brand name puter and a recovery partition then you can use the link below to get to the BIOS menu to restore it back to factory settings. When you press the power button start tapping the F key that is for your puter and the BIOS menu will open. Select the recovery and it will set your puter back to factory settings. Depending on your puter this will take one to two hours.
Manufacturers BIOS menu F key
HP/Compaq ESC
Sony F2
ASUS Del
Gateway, eMachines F10
Acer, Dell, Fijitsu, Gigabyte, Toshiba F12
Your BIOS menu should look something like this. Yours might be different. I am posting this to give you an idea of what it looks like.
F1 = System Info
F2 = System Diagnostic
F9 = Boot Device options
F10 = BIOS Setup
F11 = System recovery
You might have a virus, first thing to try is to run RKill. The first link below discusses how it works. The second discusses some of the viruses it will remove. You will need another puter to download RKill and malwarebytes. You will need both of them on a thumb drive, DVD or a CD. Read the instruction carefully on how to use the programs together.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
If all else fails you will need to try to recover your data and files. Go to the link below and read on how to download a Linux Live CD to boot the system to recover what you want. If you have a Windows 8 puter then you need to turn of secure boot before using the CD. The live CD will also allow you to check out the rest of the puter. It helps to have a thumb drive or a external drive to copy your data and files to.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/use-ubuntu-live-cd-to-backup-files-from-your-dead-windows-computer/
After you get your data backed up and you have a brand name puter and a recovery partition then you can use the link below to get to the BIOS menu to restore it back to factory settings. When you press the power button start tapping the F key that is for your puter and the BIOS menu will open. Select the recovery and it will set your puter back to factory settings. Depending on your puter this will take one to two hours.
Manufacturers BIOS menu F key
HP/Compaq ESC
Sony F2
ASUS Del
Gateway, eMachines F10
Acer, Dell, Fijitsu, Gigabyte, Toshiba F12
Your BIOS menu should look something like this. Yours might be different. I am posting this to give you an idea of what it looks like.
F1 = System Info
F2 = System Diagnostic
F9 = Boot Device options
F10 = BIOS Setup
F11 = System recovery
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar