Is it normal for an external hard drive to make click sounds when data is transfered?

lacie desktop hard drive 500gb on USB Devices - External Hard Drives - Lacie - laCie Desktop Drive ...
lacie desktop hard drive 500gb image



exp.code


I recently purchased a LaCie 301285U Desktop 500GB external Hard Drive about a week ago. It comes pre-loaded with back up software to make data transfer easier. Everytime I use the software to transfer any type of file, or just drag and drop files to the drive, it makes a clicking sound once the file has been transfered. It makes a click for each file, and makes multiple clicks for multiple files. It even makes a click sound when I send and receive IM's ( I archive my IM logs to this drive). Is this at all normal??


Answer
I can tell you that you better prepare to backup all your important files because soon it will stop working and become just a dead HDD with no respond. The first symptom is the HDD start to slowing down which you can feel it when you start to notice to open files slower than usual. Then your PC start getting problems to start, sometimes the computer detected the HDD sometimes not and you may face a sudden auto restart. AND then walla.. your computer is not going to reach the desktop. The bios will load as usual and just getting problems to detect the hdd anymore..

BTW, its an external HDD which mean you need to be very careful not to shake or drop it, it will sure making sound after that.

Hard Drive without working power supply?




El Co�o


I have a LaCie 500Gb external hard drive. My mother accidentally stepped on the power chord and broke the "sticks" that you put in the wall, so naturally I can't make it work.

I've tried one of those one-for-all power supplies with the right amount of watts/volts/whatever, but it didn't work (the drive won't turn on at all). I've also tried to find an original replacement cord, but it's not easy as the drive is quite old. I'm a little worried that I've ruined the drive's power supply with the wrong cord.

Are there any methods I can use to make it work again? Could someone direct me to a place where I could get a replacement cord? Worst case scenario, I'd have to get a new drive of the same type.

I believe this is the drive:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Desktop-Hard-500GB-USB2-0/dp/B000WH7P90



Answer
if its damaged the end at the wall, the hd is probably fine, best bet is to get a new psu for it, you are unlikely to have damaged it, worst case is you buy a new cable, it doesn't work, you now have a spare cable. if you need the data off the disk, there are a few specialist companies around that will remove the platter and re-house in another case to get the data off, but this can be expensive, its not too bad for you as the disks themselves aren't damaged, but it could well still be a bit expensive.

here, if you go to the manufacturers website, http://www.lacie.com/
and choose your country, hit accessories on the left hand side under products, then pick power supplies and choose the one for your hd. if you cant find it, then either try to find the model number on the power supply itself or send them a polite email.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar