Questions about My Book Essential External Hard Drive 3 TB/ USB 3?




Owl


Can I use the hard drive without a power adaptor?
How much rpm does it have?



Answer
No, this model (and any model I've seen this size) will not get enough power from a USB port, it must use the AC adapter to operate (there are smaller, say 500GB drives that do operate off USB power, although some of them even require a split cable that plugs into two USB ports at the same time to get enough amperage). As for spindle speed, it seems irrelevant, as I could not find it listed on Western Digital's specs page, which you can find here:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=870

If you have a computer whose motherboard supports USB 3.0 you will get UP TO 5 Gigabits per second transfer rates, and at 2.0 speeds (3.0 is backwardly compatible with 2.0 ports) UP TO 480 Megabit/sec.
Many externals run at 5400 or 5900 rpm (whereas many internals are system drives and run faster at 7200 rpm or souped-up can be 10,000 rpm). But isn't transfer speed what's important? - as long as the drive can keep up with the given USB architecture, what does it matter what spindle speed? Hope this helps...

will a usb 3.0 external hard drive work with a usb 2.0 port?




Dj Dood


I am looking to purchase a external hard drive but the ones I want to choose from say they are usb 3.0. If I buy one will it work with usb 2.0 ports two?


Answer
yes all external drives are what is called backwards compatible, so if you plug a 3.0 into a 2.0 socket, the drive in effect pretends to be a 2.0 drive, you also only get the 2.0 speed so dont expect the lightning fast you could get. Why not invest in a 3.0 pcie card and take the benefits.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar