Q. I'm using a Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15 and I want to use my 1 TB Western Digital Elements external hard drive to back up my data. However, I can only read because the format of the hard drive is NTFS, therefore, I have to re-format my hard drive. Using disk utility, I have the following options for re-formatting:
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled)
MS-DOS (FAT)
exFAT
I'm not familiar with the above formats, so I don't want to proceed without knowing. Which one should I use? Please provide explanations.
Thanks
Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
Mac OS Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled)
MS-DOS (FAT)
exFAT
I'm not familiar with the above formats, so I don't want to proceed without knowing. Which one should I use? Please provide explanations.
Thanks
Answer
Depends on what you wish to be able to accomplish with this backup drive. Do you plan on using it with Time Machine or using it solely with Macs? If so, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If you wish to have this drive be usable in Windows, you should choose exFAT; exFAT is compatible with both Windows and OS X (but not Time Machine).
Depends on what you wish to be able to accomplish with this backup drive. Do you plan on using it with Time Machine or using it solely with Macs? If so, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled). If you wish to have this drive be usable in Windows, you should choose exFAT; exFAT is compatible with both Windows and OS X (but not Time Machine).
Which would you consider the best external hard drive for my situation?
dd
So I got my Macbook Pro last May (2011), and it decided to have a kernel panic in early January. It refuses to turn on or start in safe mode. After much research I've resolved to send it to get fixed before my one year warranty runs out, but I need to backup all my files, pictures, itunes, the novel I did for NaNoWriMo, some videos I recorded on iMovie, songs I did on GarageBand, in short, EVERYTHING!
It is my first ever laptop, so I didn't know I needed an external hard drive disk or a time capsule.
I have decided to use the Mac OS X Install DVD disk that came with the computer to fix the problem, but the only too solutions it gives me is to erase everything or backup the Macintosh HD disk. I want to backup the disk, (will that save absolutely everything?), and then send it to Apple because there is obviously something wrong with the disk. I want it to be fixed or replaced, but I need an external HDD first. Please help me. Which would be the best choice for me?
My computer is a 13" Macbook Pro (Mid 2011?)
These are stats I got from the Mac OS X Install DVD's Disk Utility:
Mount Point: /Volume/Macintosh HD
Format: Mac OS Extended
Owners Enables: Yes
Number of Folders: 150, 353
Capacity: 319.73 GB (319,728,959,488 Bytes)
Available: 269.2 GB (269,198,880,768 Bytes)
Used: 50.53 GB (50,530,078,720 Bytes)
Number of Files: 446 889
Thank you so much for your help!!
Answer
First of all you need to decided the HD size. 1 TB is more than enough than most people
Then you need to pick size. usually 3.5" offer more space and 2.5" offer more portability. If you want to carry your laptop around, i would go for the 2.5"
I've been using WD's my passport since day 1. I build my own computer and i am using a WD hard drive too. It has a full metal full enclosure so you don't need to worry about dropping it. The new Passport is optimized for Mac user!!
First of all you need to decided the HD size. 1 TB is more than enough than most people
Then you need to pick size. usually 3.5" offer more space and 2.5" offer more portability. If you want to carry your laptop around, i would go for the 2.5"
I've been using WD's my passport since day 1. I build my own computer and i am using a WD hard drive too. It has a full metal full enclosure so you don't need to worry about dropping it. The new Passport is optimized for Mac user!!
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar