Q. About a year ago I bought a Western Digital 320gig hard drive, and at the time my computer was screwed up so I couldn't install the software with it. In other words, I could only use about 297gb of the full 320.
Now that my computer's back to normal (long story), I've realized that I'm able to re-format my HD and use the extra 23gigs.
My question is: If I format the HD, will I lose all of the data that's currently on there?
Now that my computer's back to normal (long story), I've realized that I'm able to re-format my HD and use the extra 23gigs.
My question is: If I format the HD, will I lose all of the data that's currently on there?
Answer
Certainly. If you have the space, put the files back onto the computer's hard drive, reformat the external hard drive, then move the files back onto the external hard drive. Just remember, you'll never get the "full" capacity of any external hard drive or flash drive if there is any manufacturers software pre installed on the device.
Certainly. If you have the space, put the files back onto the computer's hard drive, reformat the external hard drive, then move the files back onto the external hard drive. Just remember, you'll never get the "full" capacity of any external hard drive or flash drive if there is any manufacturers software pre installed on the device.
External hard drive questions?
Linda K
I need to purchase an external hard drive for my computer. I have a Dell DIME521 with Windows Vista. Do you need a specific external hard drive depending on the kind of computer you have, or can you just purchase anything? My internal hard drive is basically full, so I want something with alot of space. I have the sims 2 on my computer which takes up alot of space. Also, are there any websites you recommend buying from? Or any certain brand to get? Thanks
Answer
There are two basic (common) sizes of hard drives. The larger 3.5 inch drive that nearly every desktop computer uses, and the smaller 2.5 inch that nearly all laptop's use. There is also a small 1.8 inch, but that is rarely used except for some netbooks and portable media players. If you are hooking this drive up externally, though, any size will work.
Of the two common sizes, you can find both sold in external drive enclosures. The 3.5 inch drive is very common, and thus, cheap. The 2.5 inch is more expensive per Gigabyte, and is not offered in the larger capacities that the 3.5 inch drives have.
When shopping for an external drive, do not be fooled into thinking the smaller drives are better or more portable. There is very little real difference in size, and you are probably not planning on carrying this drive around with you a lot, so get the larger 3.5 inch drive. The only downside of the 3.5 inch drives, you have to plug up a power cord to them, whereas most 2.5 inch drives are powered by the USB hub. This is not a deal breaker, though, since again, you are not planning on carrying this thing around with you a lot.
Other than that, there is no one specific type or brand you need to look for, just make sure they are USB 2.0 or better. USB 1.1 is horribly slow. Personally, I would stick with one of the major manufacturers. If you get an external drive from a company that does not make the actual drives inside (they just make the enclosures that hold someone else's drive) then the drive they package with the enclosure could be anything, and might not be of good quality. Stick with manufacturers that make their own drives, like Seagate and Western Digital, that way you know the drive inside the enclosure is of good quality and will last for years.
There are two basic (common) sizes of hard drives. The larger 3.5 inch drive that nearly every desktop computer uses, and the smaller 2.5 inch that nearly all laptop's use. There is also a small 1.8 inch, but that is rarely used except for some netbooks and portable media players. If you are hooking this drive up externally, though, any size will work.
Of the two common sizes, you can find both sold in external drive enclosures. The 3.5 inch drive is very common, and thus, cheap. The 2.5 inch is more expensive per Gigabyte, and is not offered in the larger capacities that the 3.5 inch drives have.
When shopping for an external drive, do not be fooled into thinking the smaller drives are better or more portable. There is very little real difference in size, and you are probably not planning on carrying this drive around with you a lot, so get the larger 3.5 inch drive. The only downside of the 3.5 inch drives, you have to plug up a power cord to them, whereas most 2.5 inch drives are powered by the USB hub. This is not a deal breaker, though, since again, you are not planning on carrying this thing around with you a lot.
Other than that, there is no one specific type or brand you need to look for, just make sure they are USB 2.0 or better. USB 1.1 is horribly slow. Personally, I would stick with one of the major manufacturers. If you get an external drive from a company that does not make the actual drives inside (they just make the enclosures that hold someone else's drive) then the drive they package with the enclosure could be anything, and might not be of good quality. Stick with manufacturers that make their own drives, like Seagate and Western Digital, that way you know the drive inside the enclosure is of good quality and will last for years.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar