superinten
I bought my MacBook in May 2006, and after my AppleCare had expired, my optical drive would randomly decide whether or not it would eject the disks I would feed it. Before it started acting up, I purchased Leopard and installed it right after it came out last year. Since a lot of third party programs were not compatible with Leopard immediately, I thought I would revert back to Tiger and wait it out a bit until programs were updated to be compatible with Leopard.
In the meantime, I bought an external DVD/CD drive for $70 (Kanguru U2-DVDRW-20LS ... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...oductresources ) because I didn't want to pay the $300-$400 it would cost to get my optical drive repaired. It works fine, several times a year I do a clean wipe re-install and it works just great when installing the backup disks that came with my computer initially (Tiger). When I go to install Leopard though, it won't allow me to did it. I was thinking it may have to do something with the drivers for the actual external hard drive..but I can't find any on the Kanguru website...can anyone give me any guidance? I'm pretty clueless with all of this. Thanks in advance!!
Short version: I want to know how to get Leopard on my 2006 MacBook (which previously ran Tiger) with the Kanguru U2-DVDRW-20LS external DVD/CD drive instead of my optical drive (since it is broken).
Answer
First why don't you just buy a replacement dive and install it yourself. Its not that hard. You can get a supper drive for $149.95 or a combo drive for $109.95 for your MacBook from this site.
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook--Macbook-Pro-Parts-and-Repair-MacBook-13-Service-Parts-p-1-c-523.html
Here is a video showing how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJm7wwG56zg
I really don't know why you can't boot from your external drive. It should work. You do have a full retail box version of Leopard, right?
Anyways if you have access to another Mac. You could connect them with FireWire and then boot your MacBook in Target Disk Mode from that Mac. Then put the install disk in the other Mac and install it from there on your MacBook. Or you could turn on File Sharing on the other Mac, and share the install disk to your MacBook, to install it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661
First why don't you just buy a replacement dive and install it yourself. Its not that hard. You can get a supper drive for $149.95 or a combo drive for $109.95 for your MacBook from this site.
http://www.powerbookmedic.com/MacBook--Macbook-Pro-Parts-and-Repair-MacBook-13-Service-Parts-p-1-c-523.html
Here is a video showing how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJm7wwG56zg
I really don't know why you can't boot from your external drive. It should work. You do have a full retail box version of Leopard, right?
Anyways if you have access to another Mac. You could connect them with FireWire and then boot your MacBook in Target Disk Mode from that Mac. Then put the install disk in the other Mac and install it from there on your MacBook. Or you could turn on File Sharing on the other Mac, and share the install disk to your MacBook, to install it.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1661
Most reliable and affordable external hard drive for my Macbook?
rastafari7
Hello. I am running low on space on my computer and was in need for an external hard drive. Which brand and model is great in performance, size and price? I'm looking to spend no more than 100 dollars. Thanks!
Answer
I would advice you to purchase a Western Digital My Passport Studio, which is available in various hard drive capacity sizes. This hard drive will be pre-formatted for Mac OS X and supports not only USB, but also FireWire 400 and 800. You can format any hard drive yourself for Mac OS X, so that is not a requirement, it is only handy that it has been done for you. A hard drive which supports FireWire 800 however is great, as the transfer speed will be much higher than with USB or FireWire 400. Most external hard drives only support USB, which is slower than FireWire 800. The drive is also very portable and includes an indicator light showing you how full the hard drive is. Last but not least, the casing of the drive is non-shiny silver, just like the silver is on a MacBook Pro or Mac Mini for example. ;-)
I would advice you to purchase a Western Digital My Passport Studio, which is available in various hard drive capacity sizes. This hard drive will be pre-formatted for Mac OS X and supports not only USB, but also FireWire 400 and 800. You can format any hard drive yourself for Mac OS X, so that is not a requirement, it is only handy that it has been done for you. A hard drive which supports FireWire 800 however is great, as the transfer speed will be much higher than with USB or FireWire 400. Most external hard drives only support USB, which is slower than FireWire 800. The drive is also very portable and includes an indicator light showing you how full the hard drive is. Last but not least, the casing of the drive is non-shiny silver, just like the silver is on a MacBook Pro or Mac Mini for example. ;-)
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar