Suggestions for external hard drive?




ShoeGal


Hello, this may seem like a super dumb question, but I am computer illiterate, so here it goes...

Some background, I have a MacBook Pro and only have 15.13 GB left (shown in the bottom of the finder). I'll be going off to college next year, and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good external hard drive? Also, what size would you recommend?
Which brings me to my next question, what exactly is an external hard drive? Is it just like a giant USB, or do I have to leave it plugged in at all times? Also, would I save everything on my computer to the external hard drive as well as to my computer, or only certain things to the hard drive (like all my itunes music)?

Thanks again!



Answer
1. a suggestion for a good external hard drive?
-I wrote about one in my blog
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/16/seagates-goflex-satellite-portable-hard-drive-streams-content-o/

here's my blog about it:http://stompit.tumblr.com/

2. what size would you recommend?
-At LEAST 200gb

3. what exactly is an external hard drive? Is it just like a giant USB, or do I have to leave it plugged in at all times?
-An external hard drive is.... A hard drive, externally powered. It's like an internal laptop or desktop hard drive to run on AC power (comes in two different sizes) and yes you can leave it plugged in, but it will depreciate faster if left on ALL the time.

4. would I save everything on my computer to the external hard drive as well as to my computer, or only certain things to the hard drive (like all my itunes music)?
-You can save whatever the hell you want on the hard drive. Hard drive are for portable storage such as; music,movies,document -etc. ... you start getting into trouble when installing programs to it because then you need the hard drive plugged in every time if you want to use the program.... so, bad idea..


Hope I've helped. :-)

is the momentus XT750 hard drive as fast as a SSD?




Ricardo Mo


I bought a momentus XT750 GB for 149$ on amazon and replaced my laptop drive with it. Speed is much faster and boot time is down to about 20 seconds from power on to desktop. But I expected it to actually be faster, more like a Solid state drive. I think it has 32GB of cache ram built in. Anyway it is rated at 6gb/s which is the same standard as most SSDs. So my question is weather an SSD would be much faster?

What is your experience with the momentus xt?

Thanks



Answer
What the momentus XT750 does is similar to what Windows 7's ReadyBoost does: It takes often used files and puts them in cashe...in ReadyBoost's case, it uses a USB flash drive to store those files. The XT750 does the same thing, everything is loaded onto the main drive, but files that are frequently accessed are stored on the Flash drive attached. But that doesn't mean EVERYTHING is stored on the flash drive. And you're still bound by the speed of the mechanical drive.


http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2011/12/seagates-hybrid-momentus-xt-750-gb-almost-an-ssd-almost-affordable/

"The Momentus XT installs like any other notebook drive, and will work in Macs or Windows PCs. After the initial setup, youâll not see a big performance boost. But as you use the drive, it learns what data it needs to pull into its flash memory, and over time it becomes much faster."




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar