Ricardo Mo
I bought a momentus XT750 GB for 149$ on amazon and replaced my laptop drive with it. Speed is much faster and boot time is down to about 20 seconds from power on to desktop. But I expected it to actually be faster, more like a Solid state drive. I think it has 32GB of cache ram built in. Anyway it is rated at 6gb/s which is the same standard as most SSDs. So my question is weather an SSD would be much faster?
What is your experience with the momentus xt?
Thanks
Answer
What the momentus XT750 does is similar to what Windows 7's ReadyBoost does: It takes often used files and puts them in cashe...in ReadyBoost's case, it uses a USB flash drive to store those files. The XT750 does the same thing, everything is loaded onto the main drive, but files that are frequently accessed are stored on the Flash drive attached. But that doesn't mean EVERYTHING is stored on the flash drive. And you're still bound by the speed of the mechanical drive.
http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2011/12/seagates-hybrid-momentus-xt-750-gb-almost-an-ssd-almost-affordable/
"The Momentus XT installs like any other notebook drive, and will work in Macs or Windows PCs. After the initial setup, youâll not see a big performance boost. But as you use the drive, it learns what data it needs to pull into its flash memory, and over time it becomes much faster."
What the momentus XT750 does is similar to what Windows 7's ReadyBoost does: It takes often used files and puts them in cashe...in ReadyBoost's case, it uses a USB flash drive to store those files. The XT750 does the same thing, everything is loaded onto the main drive, but files that are frequently accessed are stored on the Flash drive attached. But that doesn't mean EVERYTHING is stored on the flash drive. And you're still bound by the speed of the mechanical drive.
http://blog.chron.com/techblog/2011/12/seagates-hybrid-momentus-xt-750-gb-almost-an-ssd-almost-affordable/
"The Momentus XT installs like any other notebook drive, and will work in Macs or Windows PCs. After the initial setup, youâll not see a big performance boost. But as you use the drive, it learns what data it needs to pull into its flash memory, and over time it becomes much faster."
2011 Macbook Pro Help?
Alex
First, what is the difference between 2.7Ghz and 2.3Ghz, which one is better? I think that the 2.7 is better, so why is it only avaliable on the 13" model? I was thinking of buying the 15" model, what should I add to it so it would be the fastest laptop possible?
What does a quad core do better than a dual? Is it just able to handle the workload twice as fast or are there other perks?
Also, what will wear out faster, a SSD or a HDD?
How many hours of battery life would I have with the 7200 RPM HDD, or the SSD? And what do you mean by limited write capabilities?
Answer
Q: What is the difference between 2.7Ghz and 2.3Ghz, which one is better?
The difference between 2.7 and 2.3 Ghz processors isn't much, as I got a 2.3 Ghz quad core that scores the same as a 3.2 Ghz in Cinebench.
If you want to compare processors accurately, check out this chart.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Q: I think that the 2.7 is better, so why is it only available on the 13" model?
Again check the link above, speed isn't everything.
Q: I was thinking of buying the 15" model, what should I add to it so it would be the fastest laptop possible?
The 15" Quad MacBook Pro is a good choice
I have the top of the line anti-glare 17" 2.3 Ghz i7 Quad core myself, bought at the Apple Store.
Apple sells only 5,400 RPM boot drives in their Stores, but online order and you can get smaller drives at 7,200 RPMs which is a lot faster and makes the computer perform better, but shortens battery life. If your on power most of the time, then it doesn't matter really.
Also you can up the RAM to 8GB (you can do that in the Store) that would help a lot if your a serious multitasking, like running three operating systems at once etc.
So technically the fastest MacBook Pro 15" can be had online special order, but you risk delivery damage and get a meager 500GB boot drive. Or you could have Apple install a faster hard drive later when they offer a 1TB or better at 7,200 RPM's, they are coming soon. :)
I don't advise spending the money for SSD drives, for $1200 or so you only get 500GB, and limited write capability. They are the fastest, but you can't even secure erase a SSD drive of private data.
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/02/17/1911217/Confidential-Data-Not-Safe-On-Solid-State-Disks
I do highly advise getting the anti-glare screen, it makes it so much better to see the screen in nearly all environments. The glossy ones are for conning consumers, "look shiny" but are not practical to use long term, causes eyestrain, headaches, vision problems. Desktop machines in a slightly dark room with no glare sources they are nicer looking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossy_display
Q: What is the difference between 2.7Ghz and 2.3Ghz, which one is better?
The difference between 2.7 and 2.3 Ghz processors isn't much, as I got a 2.3 Ghz quad core that scores the same as a 3.2 Ghz in Cinebench.
If you want to compare processors accurately, check out this chart.
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html
Q: I think that the 2.7 is better, so why is it only available on the 13" model?
Again check the link above, speed isn't everything.
Q: I was thinking of buying the 15" model, what should I add to it so it would be the fastest laptop possible?
The 15" Quad MacBook Pro is a good choice
I have the top of the line anti-glare 17" 2.3 Ghz i7 Quad core myself, bought at the Apple Store.
Apple sells only 5,400 RPM boot drives in their Stores, but online order and you can get smaller drives at 7,200 RPMs which is a lot faster and makes the computer perform better, but shortens battery life. If your on power most of the time, then it doesn't matter really.
Also you can up the RAM to 8GB (you can do that in the Store) that would help a lot if your a serious multitasking, like running three operating systems at once etc.
So technically the fastest MacBook Pro 15" can be had online special order, but you risk delivery damage and get a meager 500GB boot drive. Or you could have Apple install a faster hard drive later when they offer a 1TB or better at 7,200 RPM's, they are coming soon. :)
I don't advise spending the money for SSD drives, for $1200 or so you only get 500GB, and limited write capability. They are the fastest, but you can't even secure erase a SSD drive of private data.
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/02/17/1911217/Confidential-Data-Not-Safe-On-Solid-State-Disks
I do highly advise getting the anti-glare screen, it makes it so much better to see the screen in nearly all environments. The glossy ones are for conning consumers, "look shiny" but are not practical to use long term, causes eyestrain, headaches, vision problems. Desktop machines in a slightly dark room with no glare sources they are nicer looking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossy_display
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar