How do I setup a external hard drive to a wireless network?




tehsuxs


I was going to buy "Low Cost USB 2.0 + NDAS Network Attached Enclosure Kit/Solution" ( see link http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/woot ) and wanted to hook it up to my wireless network.

I currently have a Verizon modem + wireless router. I wanted to know if I could run this network (external hard drive) off of my modem/router.

Please let me know and if you have any websites with instructions that would be great.



Answer
From what it says, you would need to position it next to your router and plug an ethernet cable from the NDAS to the router...

Setup may or may not be easy...

If it "plays nicely" with the DHCP from your router, it could be a snap...
If not, it may be difficult to see on your network!

The price seems to be reasonable (if it works!)

BE CAREFUL IF SUPPLYING YOUR OWN DRIVE!
(In other words READ THE FINE PRINT!)

They say they ONLY support IDE (OLD+SLOW) Hard Drives!

All new drives are now SATA (Bigger, faster & less expensive!)

You MIGHT be better served in the long run looking for a solution that utilizes SATA drives instead (unless, of course, if you're looking to utilize an older IDE/PATA drive you have lying around gathering dust!)

Can't access files on external hard drive via network?




Matt T


I have a 500GB Western Digital My Book external hard drive set up for file sharing on the network. It already has over 100 GB of movies and music, but I can't see those files over the network.

Every time I try to access the HDD remotely, the client computer can only see the preinstalled autorun file that has the backup software on it. Windows keeps looking for a program to open the file instead of opwning Windows Explorer.

I have already deleted the autorun files, but I still have this problem. How do I fix this (aside from formatting, as I don't have enough space on my internal HDDs to hold the movies temporarily)?
[EDIT] I have already enabled file sharing and the autorun files came with the drive; they are perfectly safe. They are part of Western Digital's 30 day trial of a bakcup program that I don't use (and it doesnt work that well anyway). I removed the files already, so I can't find a reason why the remote computer still cannot access the shared drive.



Answer
Right click the external drive that you are going to share, select "Sharing & Security" then enable file sharing...

As far as I know, the file "autorun.inf "is generated by a special trojan/Virus that would creat this file in the root directory of every local drive (includes removable drives).Kaspersky can REALLY detects its "mother" but can NOT kill the orphans--or the corpse of the trojan.The release of the Virus/Trojan has been a long time.And I believe that all the strange codes appearing when you double click your local drivers are due to your Italian(? I doubt) system language--normally the first item of right click menu of your drives will be "èªå¨æ­æ¾âï¼autoplay) after the infection.The ANSI and unicode are incompactible in the *.inf file and your system maybe...I think somewhat do NOT infected.(Because it can not be executed)

Now,enable the hidden files in explorer.exe( Tools>Folder Options>View>Check Show hidden files and folders, also uncheck Hide protcted oprating sysytem files (recommendede)),then delete every autorun.inf in the root directory of local drives---make sure you delete the "mother" of the autorun.inf .Reboot.
I believe everything will be OK.

Plus: It seems that the malware comes from China...if you open the autorun.inf
file in notepad after you set your sytem language(Regional and Language Options) to Chinese(PRC),probably,you will read the "èªå¨æ­æ¾âï¼autoplay).What a shame...

anyway, Good Luck!!




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar