hello
Yes I know hard drive manufacturers have for years had a policy (written in fine print on every drive they sell) of calculating 1GB as 1000Mb instead of 1024Mb. your computer calculates it based on 1024Mb. So basically, if you buy a 1.5 tb hard drive (like i did) you only 1.36 tb. Why do people take this crap? It's a scam. Why don't people sue the freaking companies. The majority people don't know this so they buy overpriced hard drives thinking they'll get what they paid for, but get less.
@Karl Well that's my issue. If I'm paying for 1.36 tb, then they should say on the box that it's 1.36 and not 1.5 tb. Their falsely advertising that fact and making people believe their getting 1.5
Answer
It's not false advertising. If you buy a raw hard drive, a hard drive with NO formatting whatsoever, a 1.5TB HDD will be 1.5TB. However, the formatting of the hard drive is what lowers the actual size of the hard drive. I suppose the companies could put the actual formatted size, but that would be rather difficult as the formatting varies from drive to drive. For example, my 8GB flash drive, formatted, can hold up to about 7.7GB. My brothers can hold 7.8GB.
Besides, the hard drive IS 1.5TB, just formatted.
It's not false advertising. If you buy a raw hard drive, a hard drive with NO formatting whatsoever, a 1.5TB HDD will be 1.5TB. However, the formatting of the hard drive is what lowers the actual size of the hard drive. I suppose the companies could put the actual formatted size, but that would be rather difficult as the formatting varies from drive to drive. For example, my 8GB flash drive, formatted, can hold up to about 7.7GB. My brothers can hold 7.8GB.
Besides, the hard drive IS 1.5TB, just formatted.
External Hard-drive?
Hari
Does anyone know what a good brand for an external hard-drive is? Is western digital good? I am looking for a 250gb external hard-drive up to $100.
Answer
The hard disks inside are all good brands; no surprise when only six or seven companies made SATA 3.5" units. The problem is, some of the cheaper mystery brand have poor cooling that imperils the hard disk, while others use shoddy drive interfaces that have a way of failing. A Western Digital should be fine. I've never owned their externals, but have used drives of theirs going back to a 40MB stepper. Good stuff, and after Seagate's recent quality slip, perhaps the best in the industry at the moment.
For your money, you're probably looking at a minimum of 500 gigabytes such as this. I'm not even sure WD still makes externals under 500GB in a 3.5" format:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136175
The hard disks inside are all good brands; no surprise when only six or seven companies made SATA 3.5" units. The problem is, some of the cheaper mystery brand have poor cooling that imperils the hard disk, while others use shoddy drive interfaces that have a way of failing. A Western Digital should be fine. I've never owned their externals, but have used drives of theirs going back to a 40MB stepper. Good stuff, and after Seagate's recent quality slip, perhaps the best in the industry at the moment.
For your money, you're probably looking at a minimum of 500 gigabytes such as this. I'm not even sure WD still makes externals under 500GB in a 3.5" format:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136175
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar