How do I change my external hard drive from read only to writable?

external hard drive not showing up on My external hard drive won't show up: Apple Support Communities
external hard drive not showing up image



The Big Si


Just bought a new MAC to replace my old PC and my external hard drive is being shown as a read only drive when I plug it in. How can I change it back to a writable drive without losing my data? The PC is dead and can't be used as a file storage device so I can completely reformat the drive for MAC only use. If you need additional information just ask. Thanks in advance.


Answer
Your old Windows drive is almost certainly formatted as NTFS which, as you've discovered, OSX can read but not write. You'll have to copy the files off the old drive to another device for safekeeping, use Disk Utility to reformat the old drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and then copy them back to the old drive.

Obviously, this will be easiest if you copy them to the Mac's drive, at least temporarily -- assuming you have enough space.

PS - You *could* format the old drive as simply Mac OS Extended, but the Journaled option is a much better choice. See http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8835.html for an explanation.

What exactly does an external hard drive do?




Zeke


Let's say my computer has 40 gigs left on it's hard drive and I buy a 500gb external hard drive, will it show that I have 540 gb?


Answer
no it will show you have 40 gigs free out of what ever size drive you have
and another hard drive with 500 gigs free.........
but what you can do is
move all you photo's for example..... 20 gigs of pictures to the new device
check several to see they are ok
delete the 20 gigs of pitures and now you will see 60 gigs free




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar