Can you install apps on an external hard drive?

best external hard drive time machine on ... External Hard Drive for Mac STCB4000100: Computers & Accessories
best external hard drive time machine image
Q. I have a Mac and I just bought an external hard drive for Time Machine. Can I install apps on the hard drive, such as firefox or paint?


Answer
Good question.

Now.. installing applications (esp those that require constantly communication and utilize other programs) on external harddrives are not advisable.

Technically, these programs may run slower esp because everytime you use them, the speed will be affected by how fast the I/O bus speed of your device is. Instead of running them from the local HDD that is directly connected to the main bus, the computer will now be tasked to moved information from outside going to the inside. (hope that made sense)

Additionally, these programs might depend on dlls and the registry so using an external location may run you into trouble in the future.

How do I convert my hard-drive back from time machine to usable hard-drive?




Concerned


I converted my external hard-drive into a Time Machine usable drive when I had to take my computer to the repair shop. Now I want to change it back to a usable hard drive, how do I do that?


Answer
Well get into your time machine and go back in time to the point where you started it and unplug it.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar