How to get a Mac External Hard Drive to work on my PC?

best buy external hard drive seagate on Buy Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk 2TB USB External 3.5 Hard Disk Drive ...
best buy external hard drive seagate image



geishagrll


I bought a Seagate External Hard Drive that was meant for a MAC. Usually I can interchange items between my MAC and PC but I can not get it to work with my PC. It is a 320 gb Free Agent Go.


Answer
Mac's use a disk format called HFS+, Mac's can read that and it can read FAT format.

Windows uses either FAT or the newer NTSF

So the object is to first get your files off the drive back onto Mac which can read HFS+, do that now.

If you don't have room on your Mac, your going to have to use another external drive or burn some data to dvd's to reduce the load. DVD's take awhile to burn and only hold 4.6GB of data.

Then under Disk Utility (in your Applications > Utilities folder) can format the external drive FAT (this will erase all data on the external drive!)

So do that and then back in the Finder transfer your files to the external drive again, take it to the PC and it will see it the FAT formatted drive.

The only other solution is paid software, either on the PC or the Mac, to read each others format.


Edit:

Carling - Mac's use BSD Unix, not Linux and they can't read NTFS formatted drives unless NTFS-3G (payware) is installed on the Mac.

Mac's can only read HFS+ and FAT, not NTFS or EXT4 of Linux.

Sure Linux can read just about all file formats, HFS+, EXT, NTSF, FAT etc, not a Mac, sorry, I wish it did. :)

On the PC there is pay software that can make the PC read HFS+ of Mac's. (forget what it is though :)

FAT format will work fine on either PC or a Mac or a Linux box. Used on common flash USB drives for that reason.

What brand external Hard Drive should I get?




JJ


I found about $175 worth of best buy gift cards in one of my drawers, so I decided to buy an external hard drive. I've decided that I want to get a 1 TB, but I don't know what brand to get. Any suggestions?


Answer
I'm personally a fan of Western Digital, and have heard some bad things about Seagate's external drives, but your best bet is to search Best Buys site, find a few that are in the size and price range you're looking for and check out their reviews on various sites including Best Buy, Amazon.com and Newegg.com

Each model is slightly different so while one version from WD may be great, another might be a complete brick.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar