jennifer
I have a ton of video footage alone with pictures I am needing to give to someone. I use a mac and they do not, and are on a pc. I was wondering if I buy an external hard drive to give them will they be able to open it on their pc after I download all the footage on to the hard drive from my mac? I have a personal one I use and remember running into issues when trying to get something off it when I plugged into a pc... Is there a specific kind I need to buy, or set it up for both? Please HELP -_-
Answer
Typically external hard drives marketed for MAC are formatted in ExFAT
While external drives marketed for use with PC are formatted NTFS
IF you didn't re-format the drive and the drive IS formatted for ExFAT then a
windows computer should be able to read the data, as EXFAT is the only
formatting method that can be read by BOTH PC and MAC.
If it is formatted by some other formatting then you will need a friend with a MAC and another drive formatted ExFAT to transfer the data to, reformat the drive to ExFAT then transfer the data back.
so your PC can read it.
Remember there is a big difference between "Lost DATA" and "inaccessible DATA"
Typically external hard drives marketed for MAC are formatted in ExFAT
While external drives marketed for use with PC are formatted NTFS
IF you didn't re-format the drive and the drive IS formatted for ExFAT then a
windows computer should be able to read the data, as EXFAT is the only
formatting method that can be read by BOTH PC and MAC.
If it is formatted by some other formatting then you will need a friend with a MAC and another drive formatted ExFAT to transfer the data to, reformat the drive to ExFAT then transfer the data back.
so your PC can read it.
Remember there is a big difference between "Lost DATA" and "inaccessible DATA"
Mac laptop is not recognizing my new external hard drive.?
Q. I bought a Maxtor Personal Storage 3200 external hard drive, 200GB. My computer recognizes it on my desktop, but it won't let me put anything on it. When I try to drag a picture to the icon, a dialogue box comes up and says that the pic couldn't be added "because untitled cannot be modified." Please keep in mind that I do not know anything about computers and know even less about my Mac. I'm still trying to learn. Thanks in advance!
Answer
Open your disc utility on the Mac: Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility.
Over on the left, click on the external hard drive.
Once it is highlighted, click on the Erase button at the top of that window.
Set the file format for Mac OS Extended.
Click Erase. It will reformat your drive, and all should be well.
Open your disc utility on the Mac: Applications > Utilities > Disc Utility.
Over on the left, click on the external hard drive.
Once it is highlighted, click on the Erase button at the top of that window.
Set the file format for Mac OS Extended.
Click Erase. It will reformat your drive, and all should be well.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar