How can I access external hard drives connected to my Desktop from my Laptop?




john m


I haven't set up my home network yet; my desktop is running XP and my laptop is running Vista. I have a Netgear wireless router and a cable modem. Thank you


Answer
For each of your hard drives, right click on it and click Sharing and Security. From there you can create a new share name and assign priviledges. Under the sharing and security tabs.

Basically, whoever needs to access your computer simply needs the IP address to connect to (or computer name) and they should be able to access the drives.

If you only want to give access to specific folders, you can do that instead by doing the same procedures.

Use the guide below for step by step instructions

How to copy a (removed) desktop hard drive to a laptop?




VJ


My desktop computer was destroyed and all I have left was the actual physical hard drive I want to copy all those files I have to my laptop but I'm unsure of how to go about and proceed, HELP?


Answer
The easiest way is to convert it to an external hard drive with a hard drive enclosure like the ones found at http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=92&name=External-Enclosures . You need to buy the correct type for your hard drive (IDE or SATA or whatever), and you have a couple of options for the type of connector you will use to connect to your laptop (USB and firewire). Then just plug it in to your laptop and copy the files you need.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar