external desktop hard drive prices image
SD
A friend told me that I should use an old computer and put one or more hard drives in it to store media files that can be accessed by other desktops or laptops in the house. At this moment, I have been using a WD external hard drive attached to a desktop computer. Which method is cheaper (hard drive price difference) and faster for data transfer?
Answer
I've got 6 PCs ALL with secondary drives I use. EVERY valuable document or downloaded installer or file is saved in every one of my drives and on 4 externals and highly organized in the documents folders. Call it overkill but I damn sure ain't about to lose data EVER again lol.
I've got 6 PCs ALL with secondary drives I use. EVERY valuable document or downloaded installer or file is saved in every one of my drives and on 4 externals and highly organized in the documents folders. Call it overkill but I damn sure ain't about to lose data EVER again lol.
Where can I get a good, cheap external hard drive?
K
I've never had an external hard drive and really need to get one - I have a whole bunch of pictures and music I don't want to lose one day. I don't want anything that's really big, I don't need terabyte storage, I don't really have movies or anything. What's a good brand of hard drive, that's a good price? Can I get something for around the $50 mark?
Thanks for your answers!
Answer
seagate or western digital.
how to choose a drive:
Desktop: these are slightly bigger than a normal HDD, USB2 and USB 3 are the cheapest versions. USB 2 being slower around 30MB transfer speeds, and USB 3.0 (you need a USB 3.0 slot) running at around 80MB transfer speeds. you can run a 3.0 on a 2.0 slot and vice versa, they will just run slower. Desktop drives require a plug to power them, so you cant take them with you.
Portable. These drives are usually more expensive then a desktop type drive, you usually get 2 USB plugs that you need to plug in and that's were they get the power from, they do not require a plug to power them. they are usually much smaller too.
i got a Seagate Expansion, was the cheapest USB 3.0 i could find that was 2TB (around £55 in UK). you will find different model lines, just go with the cheapest.
seagate or western digital.
how to choose a drive:
Desktop: these are slightly bigger than a normal HDD, USB2 and USB 3 are the cheapest versions. USB 2 being slower around 30MB transfer speeds, and USB 3.0 (you need a USB 3.0 slot) running at around 80MB transfer speeds. you can run a 3.0 on a 2.0 slot and vice versa, they will just run slower. Desktop drives require a plug to power them, so you cant take them with you.
Portable. These drives are usually more expensive then a desktop type drive, you usually get 2 USB plugs that you need to plug in and that's were they get the power from, they do not require a plug to power them. they are usually much smaller too.
i got a Seagate Expansion, was the cheapest USB 3.0 i could find that was 2TB (around £55 in UK). you will find different model lines, just go with the cheapest.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar