Is there a way to have both a PC and a Mac read an external hard drive without reformatting?




Brendan


I am taking a film class which requires me to have an external hard drive for editing. The only computers we use to edit are Macs. I have had a 1 TB external for almost a year and have it formatted to my PC. Is there any way I can use this hard drive on both computers without reformatting and wiping out the tens of thousands of songs and pictures I have on it?

PS: If reformatting is the only option...any one have a suggestion of where I can store there files that are on my hard drive?



Answer
If your external drive is formatted as FAT32, then Mac OS X can read and write to it already. However, there is a 4GB file size limit when using FAT32. If you're using it for video editing, you probably work with files larger than that all the time.

That means you'll need to have your external drive formatted as NTFS, which has a much much higher file size limit. Mac OS X can read from NTFS drives by itself, but it needs additional driver software to write to NTFS drives.

The leading free NTFS driver for Mac OS X is called NTFS-3G. Find it at the link below. There is also a commercial version of this driver called Tuxera. It's faster and safer to use, but will cost you 25 Euro (about $35).

how to access my mac external hard drive from my pc?




smegheadrd


i have a an external usb hard drive hooked up to my mac mini and i want to be able to access it when i'm using my windows pc, anyone have any ideas?
the drive is formatted with fat 32 and windows sharing is enabled on the mac, I can see the mac hard drive from my pc but not the external drive



Answer
Have you 'shared' out the external drive?
JJ




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar