Can I connect my laptop hard drive to my desktop?




Reece


I want to use my laptops 2.5 inch toshiba 160gb hard drive and use it internally in my desktop. I have ordered 2.5 to 3.5 hard drive brackets and sata power cord and data cord (my laptop hard drive is sata)


Answer
If the 2.5" drive has proper ports on the back of it, whether it is Sata 2 or 3; you should be able to attach it to your desktop; the only difference is just the size and perhaps the performance.

Its like a VelociRaptor drive which is basically a 2.5" laptop drive with a giant heat sink bolted to it; which is what I have and its just fine.

Your desktop pc's motherboard should be backwards compatible with previous generations of SATA, so if your board uses SATA 2 ports and the drive is SATA 1, it'll work fine.

Can I use a SATA Laptop Hard drive as a PERMANENT Main drive in my Desktop?




Philip H


Can I use a SATA Laptop Hard drive as a PERMANENT Main drive in my Desktop? I already know i can attach my Laptop SATA drive to my desktop and it works, that is easy and i have had no problems. What i am asking is if there is any issues with using it as a permanent main drive for my desktop. The Laptop drive is 160GB and my current drive in my desktop is only 40GB. Is there any Con's, issues that i will run into, problems in the future?
I refuse to go to best buy's geek squad. because I use to work for them and they don't know crap about anything. They find the most expensive and easiest way to fix things. where I find the cheapest but more in depth way of fixing it.



Answer
It will work, though i would not do it. Most laptop drive run at 5400 rpm and most 3.5" desktop drives run at 7200rpm. you will very likely experience a performance decrease if it is used as your main drive. you can buy 3.5" sata drives in the 750gb rang for <$100 on newegg.com




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar