External Hard Drive?




Alex K


I just bought a LaCie 320gb External Desktop Hard Drive. It is powered by AC. I want to convert it so I don't have to plug the adapter in, as it is a pain considering I am not always around an outlet. I want to be able to just plug it into my usb 2.0 port and use it ! Please Help, Thanks in advance =]


Answer
If the hard disk (the real disk) is a 3.5 inch model, it definitely needs power. Your models definitely looks so.

Only 2.5" disks can run on USB power.

External 1 TB Hard drive for MAC: LaCie, G Drive or Western Digital my passport?




Ami D


any suggestions?


Answer
G-Drive case is much higher quality than those plastic cases, and will dissipate heat better. I have a G-Drive and it is faultless-- but the case is way too big (the circuit board is not under the drive. It sticks out ahead of it, thus requiring a long case.)

I love my MacAllay case (compact and still aluminum for good heat dissipation). If your Mac has Firewire, you will love the speed of a FW 800-equipped case. I use Seagate drives mostly, but one of the internal drives on my monster Mac desktop is WD. I will always buy Seagate from now on, because the WDs have no heat sensor. There is always a reason for cheaper.

When you buy any "External Drive" (case with HDD already mounted inside), you may be getting a 5400 RPM drive. If they fail to mention the rotational speed, be sure it is 5400. They would surely brag about a fast drive. WD is notorious for advertising their cheap 5400 RPM HDDs as "Green" and not mentioning the speed. They know people are very attracted to green nowadays, even if in this case, it is total B.S.

Don't you know how to use a #1 Phillips screwdriver to install a HDD in a case? :-)




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar