How simple/easy is it to replace a hard drive on my Desktop?




blutoadmir


On my garbage computer, (HP Pavilion xt953) I have a 20 gig hard drive that is corrupted. I wish to go to Walmart and pick up a replacement just long enough until I can afford a good system. Is it as easy as just taking out the old and putting in the new, and running software? I've replaced memory several times before and I know where the hd is located.


Answer
Removing the HD and install the new one is pretty easy, you need only a screwdriver. The problem is that you have first to save your data from the old HD ( unless you don't care about those). then you have to remove the HD and install the new one.
Suppose you want to save the data on the old HD I suggest that you buy an enclosure for 2.5-inch Hard Drive. an enclosure is a box where you put the HD and then you plug it to another computer with the USB port ( or firewire ). They are pretty cheap, around 20 dollars. So, for to do this of course you need access to another pc. I think you can ask some friends. In this way you can copy your important files to the other pc and burn a dvd.
Now the new HD. Of course you need an Operative System. Like Windows or Linux ( i suggest Linux .. it is free ). Just insert the cd in the pc and turn on the computer. Make sure your computer can boot from a cdrom. In order to know that you have to access the Bios menu. For to access that you must press a specific key (usually F1, or Esc) very quickly before the Windows screen appears ( in this case no OS so no windows screen ). If you do not enter the BIOS Setup screen on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful.
To open the BIOS Setup screen:

1. Turn off the computer and wait about 5 seconds.
2. Turn on the computer.
3. When the first screen appears, press the F1 or F10 key on the keyboard. (You can press the key more than once.) The BIOS Setup Utility Main menu appears.

Go in the menu for the Boot sequence and make sure that CD is the first choice.

Restart again the computer and just follow the instructions of the OS that you want to install.

Hope this help.

Advice to Replace Slave HDD Please?




Leeway


Ok, I began with good old DOS and I'm not so young anymore. I don't mind upgrading Ram or graphic cards but buying the correct hard drive is sure not my forte. I sure could use some expertise before I goof.

My HP Pavillion Elite desktop slave drive is toast and I don't want to buy the wrong replacement type.

After attempting a batch of great hd utilities, I opened the case and disconnected the cables to the slave drive. I hate seagate drives and I want to replace it with a western digital or similar drive. I am just not sure of the ATA or the SATA or good old IDE.

Here is what I just disconnected.. Seagate ST3360320AS
Can anyone give me the equivalent in a WD drive ?

A reasonable size but not huge. I am a backup person and I do have an external WD drive also I have a laptop. So I just want something around 300gb

I appreciate all the helpful folks here.
Donna



Answer
Your drive is a 320GB SATA drive.
I would consider for a little extra get a new 500GB WD drive.just google 500gb wd sata internal disk drive and you should get sellers for your part of the world. double check that it is sata interface.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar