2011 Macbook Pro Help?




Alex


First, what is the difference between 2.7Ghz and 2.3Ghz, which one is better? I think that the 2.7 is better, so why is it only avaliable on the 13" model? I was thinking of buying the 15" model, what should I add to it so it would be the fastest laptop possible?
What does a quad core do better than a dual? Is it just able to handle the workload twice as fast or are there other perks?
Also, what will wear out faster, a SSD or a HDD?
How many hours of battery life would I have with the 7200 RPM HDD, or the SSD? And what do you mean by limited write capabilities?



Answer
Q: What is the difference between 2.7Ghz and 2.3Ghz, which one is better?

The difference between 2.7 and 2.3 Ghz processors isn't much, as I got a 2.3 Ghz quad core that scores the same as a 3.2 Ghz in Cinebench.

If you want to compare processors accurately, check out this chart.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html


Q: I think that the 2.7 is better, so why is it only available on the 13" model?

Again check the link above, speed isn't everything.


Q: I was thinking of buying the 15" model, what should I add to it so it would be the fastest laptop possible?

The 15" Quad MacBook Pro is a good choice

I have the top of the line anti-glare 17" 2.3 Ghz i7 Quad core myself, bought at the Apple Store.

Apple sells only 5,400 RPM boot drives in their Stores, but online order and you can get smaller drives at 7,200 RPMs which is a lot faster and makes the computer perform better, but shortens battery life. If your on power most of the time, then it doesn't matter really.

Also you can up the RAM to 8GB (you can do that in the Store) that would help a lot if your a serious multitasking, like running three operating systems at once etc.

So technically the fastest MacBook Pro 15" can be had online special order, but you risk delivery damage and get a meager 500GB boot drive. Or you could have Apple install a faster hard drive later when they offer a 1TB or better at 7,200 RPM's, they are coming soon. :)

I don't advise spending the money for SSD drives, for $1200 or so you only get 500GB, and limited write capability. They are the fastest, but you can't even secure erase a SSD drive of private data.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/11/02/17/1911217/Confidential-Data-Not-Safe-On-Solid-State-Disks


I do highly advise getting the anti-glare screen, it makes it so much better to see the screen in nearly all environments. The glossy ones are for conning consumers, "look shiny" but are not practical to use long term, causes eyestrain, headaches, vision problems. Desktop machines in a slightly dark room with no glare sources they are nicer looking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossy_display

Info on Hybrid Hard Drives?




Devin Clar


wazzap!
ok so I'm looking for an upgrade for my 2011 17" MacBook Pro. here are my specs.

Quad Core 2.4 ghz Intel i7

16gigs of Ram

AMD Radeon HD 2gig

Blu-Ray Drive/Burner

750gig 5400 RPM HDD

Im a heavy Graphic Design student well on my way to my masters degree and I work proffeshionally doing freelance work. I run the entire Creative Cloud on my laptop and don't have a desktop to handle other work so this is all I have. Yet I've done all right with it doing plenty of upgrades while still retaining its warranty but the one piece that hasn't been upgraded is the hard drive and its not allowing my machine to reach its full potential. So I've been looking into getting a Hybrid SSD/HDD 2.5" Hard Drive. about a 1T should do from MacSales! here is a link to the product.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST1000LM014/

So my questions are these:

-How Reliable are Hybrid Drives?
(has a 2 year warranty so i would think its all right)

-Why is it so cheap at just $130???
(with so much space and SSD tech you would think it would be pretty expensive but its not, it makes me kind of suspicious.)

-How do they work?
(bold i know, but are they like the Apple Fusion Drive? where you can put certain programs and files on the SSD and others on the HDD?)

-What kind of performance changes will i get?
(i need to know if its worth it. i don't want have to wait for my files to render i want my boot time to improve yada yada yada)

Any other info that you have that i didn't venture into would be greatly appreciated, I'm an APP (Apple Product Professional ) but it goes without saying that Apple doesn't like it when i get inside their products and change stuff around. So my training doesn't include all of this other stuff.

Thank you so much for your help!
And another note, if you feel that this upgrade isn't the way to go i am interested in a SSD thats at least 500 but I'm not willing to spend a huge load of money. So if you have any recomedations on SSD id love to hear them!



Answer
Well first off what you have to understand about Seagate's new Solid State Hybrid Drives (SSHDs) is that they're not really a fusion of the two technologies, they're more like pairing of the two. What they are is a regular HDD with a small SSD paired with it (I think they're all 20GBs but I'm not sure if the 2.5" drives are the same as the 3.5" drives).

So with that, as far as reliability goes they'll be as reliable as any HDD (which is to say decent but I wouldn't trust my livelihood to just one).

Cost: Again since they're mostly HDD the cost is only a bit more than a normal HDD.

How it works: It sounds similar to the Fusion Drive but I don't use a Mac so I'm not sure about that. Seagate has designed software paired with firmware that works automatically to find out what files you access the most when you use your computer. The drive then, on its own, moves those files to the SSD portion so they will work much faster. Since it's only 20GBs what this inevitably turns out to be is mostly your Operating System. So it can give you SSD like boot times but won't necessarily help with rendering and other programs because the SSD portion is so small.

It sounds like you'd be better off with a true SSD if you really plan to use it to improve your professional productivity. SSHDs are really targeted at more basic users that want an inexpensive way to get faster boot times and better responsiveness for day-to-day operations.

A 500GB SSD is not going to be cheap, but i will say if you want, what I believe, is THE best price-to-performance SSD you can find, that would be the Samsung 840 EVO.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar