External hard drive shopping PLEASE HELP!!!?




Jess


I own a older Toshiba external but it's time for a new one the problem is that it seems they all need to be plugged in to a wall which sucks the one that i had only plugged in to the laptop it was the only thing it did nice and simple can some one recommend or send me a link of a 2 terabyte external hard drive i would appreciate it immensely


Answer
You are at the limit of new commercial technology. Selection is small. Desktop 3.5" external drives are wall powered. Portable ones are USB powered and are 2.5".
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236187
Western Digital My Passport 2TB USB 3.0/USB 2.0 Portable Hard Drive WDBY8L0020BBK-NESN
$190
1.5TB is $120:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822149255
2TB non-portable (wall plug) 3.5" is $110
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178109

If you don't mind the higher price for the portability, and handle it more carefully to avoid mechanical shocks, it exists now.

Run 2 hard drives on same computer?




Evan


Hey, I built a desktop recently and I had to cut down on hard drive space to stay in my budget. I'm getting a 2TB hard drive in a few weeks and I wanted to know if I can hook them up in the SATA ports to run as 2 separate hard drives. I want to be able to chose where I save the file to and almost have it run like an external hard drive (but stay in the PC.) Can someone tell me how to do this? Will I just plug it in and my PC will detect it? Or is this basically be set up like a RAID? Please be specific, because hard drives aren't my specialty. Thanks in advance!



P.S. Will I have to install Windows on the new HDD? Or will it be fine remaining on the old HDD?
@Zac Thanks for your answer, but would i just hook it up and it would be detected as a secondary drive?



Answer
i am not clear your question, but i will try...

Are you mean you built a desktop, then you need to add the second hard disk. if yes,
1) shutdown your desktop. then connected the second hard disk.
2) start up you desktop, Windows will auto detect two hard disks ( but I think it is not external hard disks except your desktop have the external SATA port or you use the external bay harddisk and connect to desktop with USB port),
3) if it is the new harddisk, you must create volume pratition and format it, then you will can read and write to it.
4) you do not necessarily to install Windows on the new HDD, but if you need. Windows will auto generate menu which you need to boot through when it start up.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar