External Hard Drives - Portable and Desktop. What's the difference?




Tom


I was looking to buy some external memory, and I was wondering; what's the difference? I guess what I'm really asking, can I use both/either like huge USB sticks? Or is that the difference? Portable can be used like a USB, but Desktop has to be paired to a single computer? 'cause... desktops seem to hold more for the same price. O_o
Sooo...? The only usual difference is that it needs standalone power?

Ohh, and, yeah, I know what a USB-stick is. Shoulda made my other question clear. Can both be used like a USB-stick... ie, plug in and play on any computer? Without risk of it saying "You need to format this in order for the computer to recognise it"?



Answer
Desktop exernal drives are physically bigger in both their dimensions and capacity, typically require a power source (AC adapter) and are essentially the same 3.5" hard drives you'd find inside a desktop computer case, just in a housing/enclosure.

So-called portables drives are usually a bit smaller, sometimes those are smaller laptop hard drives inside a case. And of course USB sticks are flash memory, not hard drives- much lower capacity.

Laptop to laptop hard drive adapter?




lisha_butt


Is it possible to get a hard drive adapter that can move the info from a laptop to another laptop??? (ie..USB or such)
but the problem is that I cant turn on the computer I want to take the info off of...I know that they make a adapter to connect to a desktop but have not found one for a laptop...



Answer
Edit.,, You want a IED/Sata to USB adapter. You should be able to fine them at Best Buy or Fry's Electronics. The last one I purchased was around $20.00. You remove the laptop and plug this in it and plug it into the USB port on our desktop.

Here is what you want http://www.frys.com/product/5772432?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar