External Hard Drives - Portable and Desktop. What's the difference?




Tom


I was looking to buy some external memory, and I was wondering; what's the difference? I guess what I'm really asking, can I use both/either like huge USB sticks? Or is that the difference? Portable can be used like a USB, but Desktop has to be paired to a single computer? 'cause... desktops seem to hold more for the same price. O_o
Sooo...? The only usual difference is that it needs standalone power?

Ohh, and, yeah, I know what a USB-stick is. Shoulda made my other question clear. Can both be used like a USB-stick... ie, plug in and play on any computer? Without risk of it saying "You need to format this in order for the computer to recognise it"?



Answer
Desktop exernal drives are physically bigger in both their dimensions and capacity, typically require a power source (AC adapter) and are essentially the same 3.5" hard drives you'd find inside a desktop computer case, just in a housing/enclosure.

So-called portables drives are usually a bit smaller, sometimes those are smaller laptop hard drives inside a case. And of course USB sticks are flash memory, not hard drives- much lower capacity.

Can you put a laptop hard drive into a desktop?




Callum Dar


The hard drive in my desktop is broken but fortunately i have a broken laptop with a perfect condition hard drive. It it possible to now put this one from my laptop into my desktop to work as a solitary HD?
No, I know 100% that the hard drive is broken. It makes the noise that a broken hard drive makes and the LED light doesn't even turn on. I've checked inside to make sure all cables are plugged in. Won't let me boot, it doesn't even let me reach the BIOS setup.



Answer
Yes you can. Most desktop cases even have screw holes where a 2.5 (smaller) drive will fit. As long as it is a newer hard drive (and desktop) you should be good to go, as SATA hard drives use the same connectors for both a 3.5 (desktop) and a 2.5 (laptop) hard drive.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar