Q. I have some 320GB USB external hard drives that I use to store hi res quicktime files. Do these drives fail very much? I have different brands, Toshiba, LaCie. One of them is a couple years old. I'd hate to lose all of my footage.
Answer
External hard drives are actually just internal hard drives that they hooked up to a USB adaptor and enclosed in a plastic shell. They have the exact same lifespan as internal hard drives (anywhere from one year to whenever).
The important thing to understand here is that an average expected lifespan does you no good. Hard drives can fail before the average time, or they can be broken or stolen or any other number of casualties.
If your data is important to you and you don't want to lose it then you NEED TO KEEP BACKUPS. If your data is only stored in a single place then you are going to eventually lose it forever, period. Buy a second external hard drive, or buy a RAID tower (a device you can throw multiple hard drives into and it will automatically make identical copies of your data on each drive).
External hard drives are actually just internal hard drives that they hooked up to a USB adaptor and enclosed in a plastic shell. They have the exact same lifespan as internal hard drives (anywhere from one year to whenever).
The important thing to understand here is that an average expected lifespan does you no good. Hard drives can fail before the average time, or they can be broken or stolen or any other number of casualties.
If your data is important to you and you don't want to lose it then you NEED TO KEEP BACKUPS. If your data is only stored in a single place then you are going to eventually lose it forever, period. Buy a second external hard drive, or buy a RAID tower (a device you can throw multiple hard drives into and it will automatically make identical copies of your data on each drive).
External hard drive suggestions!!?
imaguy
I'd like to buy an external hard drive. I'm being lazy, so I'm asking all of you if you've found any good deals or know about the best kind to buy for the least amount of money. Any suggestions and/or advice about this is welcome.
Answer
External hard drives tend to be quite expensive. The cheap way of getting an external hard drive is making your own. What I did was bought an enclosure for about 12 bucks and internal hard drive 500 GB for 54 bucks brand new too. An enclosure is a case where you take an internal hard drive that would normally go inside your computer, and turn it into an external hard drive. It's cheaper this way. I got my products on Ebay. 500 GB external drive cost about 90 bucks while I made mines for less than 70 dollars and the same size. Once you put it together you can plug it in the USB port on your computer and its ready to use.
Here is an example of an enclosure from Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocketfish-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-2-5-PATA-EIDE-RF-PHD25-/160458617932?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal#ht_500wt_671
They have enclosures that can support drives up to 2TB, which is very large.
External hard drives tend to be quite expensive. The cheap way of getting an external hard drive is making your own. What I did was bought an enclosure for about 12 bucks and internal hard drive 500 GB for 54 bucks brand new too. An enclosure is a case where you take an internal hard drive that would normally go inside your computer, and turn it into an external hard drive. It's cheaper this way. I got my products on Ebay. 500 GB external drive cost about 90 bucks while I made mines for less than 70 dollars and the same size. Once you put it together you can plug it in the USB port on your computer and its ready to use.
Here is an example of an enclosure from Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rocketfish-Hard-Drive-Enclosure-2-5-PATA-EIDE-RF-PHD25-/160458617932?pt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal#ht_500wt_671
They have enclosures that can support drives up to 2TB, which is very large.
Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar