Q. We don't want to get a new computer, and thought it might be better to get a new hard drive to work with the full one we have. Can they both work together at the same time? And is it possible to transfer things like music and photos only? Can CDs run off it, and does it have to be installed?
Answer
An external hard drive is similar to your internal hard drive, but are normally large in capacity (up to 99 TB) and are connected by USB. A downside is that they are often slower than internal hard drives, so if you choose to install programs on and external hard drive, it will load slower than and internal one.
The main use of external drives is for saving pictures/music/videos, and backing up documents and important files.
And no, you shouldn't have to install any software; once you plug in the drive the drivers will automatically install themselves.
Hope that helps.
An external hard drive is similar to your internal hard drive, but are normally large in capacity (up to 99 TB) and are connected by USB. A downside is that they are often slower than internal hard drives, so if you choose to install programs on and external hard drive, it will load slower than and internal one.
The main use of external drives is for saving pictures/music/videos, and backing up documents and important files.
And no, you shouldn't have to install any software; once you plug in the drive the drivers will automatically install themselves.
Hope that helps.
How does saving programs in an external hard drive or a USB work?
Q. I'm planning to buy an external hard drive, and I'm curious as to how does saving programs in it works. If I save, for example, Microsoft Word in it, will I be able to open Microsoft Word in whatever computer I plug the hard drive in, regardless if I'm signed in as an administrator or not?
No, I don't mean files, I mean programs. Like Microsoft Word, or Mozilla Firefox, or Foxit.
No, I don't mean files, I mean programs. Like Microsoft Word, or Mozilla Firefox, or Foxit.
Answer
I have an External Drive and it's very easy to use.
You connect it via you're USB or Firewire Port.
Some may come with software which you can install(if you want) and some don't.(mine didn't)
When you want to install or Download a programm from the Web,you will be prompted to choose the location.
There will be a choice to choose from and you select the one you want it to be saved in.
Either drive (C/:) or you're External one which might be represented by the letter (J:/) ,(I:/) etc etc.
You choose which place you want to save it in and give it a name.
It will save that program or file there.even if there is an Icon on you're Desktop, The folder for the file will be in you're External Drive.
To acess you're External Drive through you're PC you will need to do the following.
Start>My Computer>and here it will list all the drives and devices you have connected on you're PC.
Click on you're External HD to open it and you will see what you have inside.
You can transfer folders from you're C;/) drive to you're External drive very easily to.
If you un-plug you're External HD from you're current PC you can plug it into another PC and access you're files from there instead! ;)
As all you're saved info in that drive will still be there,...unless you decide to delete it.
It good for backing up you're C:/) Drive also.
They are very hady to have,i wouldn't be without mine as my (C/:) drive is running out of space! ;(
Have a look at these links>http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u6coxCayFls
http://www.wikihow.com/Hook-up-a-Hard-Drive
http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-Files-to-an-External-Hard-Drive
I have an External Drive and it's very easy to use.
You connect it via you're USB or Firewire Port.
Some may come with software which you can install(if you want) and some don't.(mine didn't)
When you want to install or Download a programm from the Web,you will be prompted to choose the location.
There will be a choice to choose from and you select the one you want it to be saved in.
Either drive (C/:) or you're External one which might be represented by the letter (J:/) ,(I:/) etc etc.
You choose which place you want to save it in and give it a name.
It will save that program or file there.even if there is an Icon on you're Desktop, The folder for the file will be in you're External Drive.
To acess you're External Drive through you're PC you will need to do the following.
Start>My Computer>and here it will list all the drives and devices you have connected on you're PC.
Click on you're External HD to open it and you will see what you have inside.
You can transfer folders from you're C;/) drive to you're External drive very easily to.
If you un-plug you're External HD from you're current PC you can plug it into another PC and access you're files from there instead! ;)
As all you're saved info in that drive will still be there,...unless you decide to delete it.
It good for backing up you're C:/) Drive also.
They are very hady to have,i wouldn't be without mine as my (C/:) drive is running out of space! ;(
Have a look at these links>http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=u6coxCayFls
http://www.wikihow.com/Hook-up-a-Hard-Drive
http://www.wikihow.com/Copy-Files-to-an-External-Hard-Drive
Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Tidak ada komentar:
Posting Komentar